Wednesday 26 September 2007

Travelling


On platform 3 of York Railway station, there is a bench to sit on. Nothing strange about that you might think, as benches are present on all of the platforms, their curvaceous shape inviting the traveller to sit and ponder the meaning of life whilst waiting for a train to arrive...if indeed you are brave enough to sit on them as they are often cold to sit on…the cold metal seat stings the back of your legs, especially in winter, and the wind pokes her fingers through the holes that are part of the design making you feel colder still. However, the bench I am referring to is not one of the usual benches. It is a wooden bench and you could be forgiven for easily passing it by without noticing it as on first glance it is fairly non-descript and plain although to parody the television advert, this is not just an ordinary wooden bench.

To the careful observer, it is instantly recognisable… the golden honey patina of English oak…the adzed finish to the seat and back… the exquisitely crafted joints…and if you needed a final clue, a mouse scuttling up the leg as if to try and hide under the arm away from the curious gaze of passers by. This is a Mousey Thompson bench….a commissioned piece of work from the workshop of Robert Thompson, the famous furniture maker from Kilburn in Yorkshire whose tell-tale signature is a mouse carved somewhere on each piece that leaves the workshop.

The bench carries an inscription, a memorial to Kate Dunphy who died in 2005 at the age of 38, and according to the epitaph, is ‘still travelling’.
I have no idea who Kate Dunphy was but I know that she was loved - the bench is testimony to that.

I am a Methodist and there is no tradition within my denomination of praying for the dead but I do know that in the Islamic tradition, it is said that Allah has special concern for the traveller. So, every time I sit on this bench I trace the letters of her name carved deep into the oak and seek out the little mouse with my fingers, and pray for her as she travels… and I pray for those closest to her, those who loved her and want to share that love through the gracious gift of a bench for other foot-sore and weary travellers needing a place to rest awhile…and for the skills of those who work with wood so lovingly…may we all travel safely to our final destinations on time, enjoying the journey as we go…insha’Allah.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I must have walked past this bench dozens of times and never noticed it was there. Travelling to London last Saturday I made a point of sitting on it and while I was there I thought of her - and of you - so it was time well spent. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Iam sitting on the bench now. I have left York's maginificent station many times but this is the first time I have noticed this bench. I googled Kate Dunphy and found this post. Three things struck me. The workmanship, the little mouse below the left arm and...

The fact that I was 38 too..

RIP Kate, whoever you are.

PQ

Anonymous said...

Sat here too! And followed the same path to your blog post.

Pausing to reflect on a life too short.

Thanks for the post.

Jennifer said...

sat on the bench today and wondered about the person whose life was cut short. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

I am sat here today also thinking of Kate, whoever she was. I hope this brings some light to those who loved her. RIP Kate x BTW there are some flowers here today so it must have been her birthday recently. The card is from her mum, dad and andy so blessings to them. I share kate's birth year. Xxx

WasteAction said...

Sat here now. RIP Kate . Noticed the bench and just thought it looked special. Now I'm
Sat on it I can see it is the work of a master craftsman. RIP Kate.

Anonymous said...

And me too, sitting here now waiting for a delayed train.
Had missed the mouse, but have now spotted it.
She was a year older than me, and I also wish her loving family peace and her continued joyous travel on hopefully more punctual services

Anonymous said...

I notice the bench today and googled her, nothing much about her but if she is real the my her soul rest in peace. Its a lovely bench that while sat on it arm, pple would pass and glance in awe or fear. But its a lovely craftsmanship. I am a year older than Kate.

Anonymous said...

Sitting on that bench now. Beautiful spring evening. Hope Kate's family are happy.

Anonymous said...

I sat on this bench just now with my coffee at 530am waiting for my train.

GOD BLESS Kate Dunphy I am sure from her heavenly home she watches us x

Unknown said...

Sat on the bench at the moment, a lovely memorial to Kate. I never knew her but it makes me wonder who she was.

Anonymous said...

Travelled past this bench while on the train and wanted to find out more. Found this for those who also wanted to find out more https://www.flickr.com/photos/iharsten/13922864612

Anonymous said...

The bench is still here. I live here and pass it many times but for some reason I am contemplative and have sat here to gather my thoughts and myself . Thank you Kate . Who ever you are for the legacy of this place you have in your name . You live on .

Anonymous said...

I’m sitting on this bench now with my young son, at the end of a weekend visit to York. He took great delight in finding the mouse. RIP Kate.